Our Shared Shelf is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

The Color Purple

Hugs an FYI - the books I am suggesting I haven't read myself. I am learning and reading for the first time with you. I am trying to choose works that cover as much ground as possible and are diverse... I've heard amazing things about this book from a person that I trust... The musical is currently on Broadway (starring Cynthia Erivo, Jennifer Hudson and Danielle Brooks) and a film was made of the book in 1985 by Steven Spielberg. It was Oprah Winfrey’s film debut and introduced Whoopi Goldberg (I love both of these women). I’m excited to read it and maybe do some watching too.

Love,
E xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I really recommend this book to You. Honestly, it broke my heart but also made me to sit and re-think everything I read. It's a tough one but it has emotnions inside and You just cannot skip some parts or put it a way for a while. You're just reading it from the beginning to the end!
    All struggle of this woman, her battle to keep her dignity. It hurts so bad, when You're reading about all those things that men were capable of. This novel is feminist but it's not shown in most common feminist way.
    Sorry for spoiler but the picture of God is worth seeing as well. Alice Walker has made a good decision to present story as letters, because it helps to understand all history better. This way to show the whole plot isn't frequent nowadays and, as I want to be a future novelist, I'm into all rare techniques.

    Warm greetings! x
    Olga.

    ReplyDelete